*Walnut oil is edible vegetable oil extracted from the dried walnuts.
*Has a light color and a rich nutty flavor and aroma.
*It is not used extensively as it is very expensive.
*Walnut oil is not suitable for high heat cooking, as it turns slightly bitter when exposed to high temperatures and is best as a salad dressing, vegetable drizzling, to toss through pasta, on steaks, chicken, fish, etc.
*Has a limited shelf life of 6-12 months. Buy in small quantities as required and store it in a cool dark place, preferably in a refrigerator, away from light and heat to prevent it from becoming rancid. Once opened, it has to be used quickly.
*Besides cooking, it is also used in cosmetic industry as a moisturizer, an emollient and astringent in the preparation of lotions, moisturizing creams, hair colors, and anti-wrinkle creams.
*It is also used as a drying oil by painters, and finishing oil by woodworkers.
Is it raw?
Yes, if it says ‘cold pressed’. Cold pressed walnut oil is extracted from dried, lightly roasted walnuts, which brings out the rich nutty flavor of the oil and it is unrefined. Make sure you read the label.
1. Walnut oil is low in saturated fats and high in unsaturated fats, 23% of monounsaturated fats and 63% of polyunsaturated fats.
2. It lowers the LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol and increases the HDL cholesterol in the blood, which reduces the risk of heart disease and cancers.
3. Excellent source of essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3), which are the precursors of prostaglandins, the hormone like substances that have a variety of functions in the human body like contraction and relaxation of smooth muscles, contraction and dilation of the blood vessels, controls blood pressure, reducing pain and inflammation etc.
4. Alpha-linolenic acid, the omega-3 fatty acid in walnut oil, promotes a healthy heart, reduces hypertension, reduces the risk of autoimmune diseases and cancers, acts as a blood thinner and prevents the formation of clots and improves depression.
5. Omega-3 fatty acids also burn the brown fat, thus aiding in weight loss.
6. Naturally cholesterol free, as with other plant oils.
7. Walnut oil also has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiseptic properties.