*Macadamia nut oil, also called Macnut oil, is heart-friendly edible vegetable oil extracted from the macadamia nuts.
*It has a light golden color, slightly nutty aroma and rich buttery flavor, and is a liquid at room temperature.
*Used in cooking for deep frying and stir frying and and in cosmetics as an emollient.
*Has a high smoking point of 410 F, which makes it ideal for frying.
*Has a very long shelf life when stored properly away from light and heat for up to 2 years. Does not need refrigeration. Long shelf life of macadamia nut oil is atributed to high amounts of monounsaturated fats (80% oleic acid) and very low amounts of polyunsaturated fats, which are more prone to rancidity.
*In cosmetic industry, Macnut oil is used in the preparation of moisturizers, sun screen creams, etc, the high palmitoleic acid content makes it ideal to use in cosmetics.
Is it raw?
Yes and No.
*Yes. If it says ‘cold pressed’. Mostly macadamia nut oil is cold pressed under controlled conditions.
*No. If it says ‘refined’, as it is sometimes refined to make it more transparent. Make sure you read the label.
1. Macadamia nut oil is low in saturated fats and very high in monounsaturated fats, about 80% oleic acid, more than in olive oil.
2. Monounsaturated fats are good for the heart and they lower the LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol in blood and maintain the HDL cholesterol.
3. Has good amounts of essential fatty acids, nearly 3% of linoleic acid (omega-6) and 1% of alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3), which are the precursors of prostaglandins, which are hormone like substances that have a variety of functions like contraction and relaxation of smooth muscles, control of blood pressure, pain and inflammatory response, etc in humans and animals.
4. Linoleic acid is also responsible for burning the brown fat in the body for heat rather than storing as white fat. Thus, macadamia nut oil also aids in weight loss and its maintenance.
5. Alpha-linolenic acid, the omega-3 fatty acid in macadamia nut oil, promotes a healthy heart, reduces hypertension, reduces the risk of autoimmune diseases and cancers, acts as a blood thinner and prevents the formation of clots and improves depression.
6. Also has high amounts of natural antioxidants, which fight against the free radicals in the body, preserve the integrity of the cell membranes and reduce the risk of heart diseases, cancers and other degenerative disorders.
7. It has no allergens, so even people who are allergic to nuts and nut oils can confidently consume this.
8. Like all other plant oils, it is naturally cholesterol free.