*Hemp seed oil is edible vegetable oil extracted from the hemp seeds.
*Cold pressed hemp seed oil has a yellow to dark green color with a nutty taste.
*Hemp seed oil is considered one of the most healthiest plant oils because of its high essential fatty acid content (75-80%) in the right ratio of 3:1 of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids, which is considered ideal by many nutritionists to get the most benefits from the EFA.
*It is best when used as a salad oil or vegetable drizzling. Not suitable for high heat cooking.
*Though it is one of the best plant oils, it is still not commercially produced on a large scale.
*Hemp seed oil has a very high amount of polyunsautrated fats, which makes it more prone to rancidity. So it has to be stored away from light and heat in the refrigerator.
Is it raw?
Yes. Hemp seed oil is cold pressed mechanically under controlled conditions away from light and heat. Make sure you read the label.
1. Hemp seed oil is low in saturated fats and high in unsaturated fats, about 18% of monounsaturated fats and 80% of polyunsaturated fats.
2. Oleic acid, the monounsaturated fatty acid present in hemp seed oil is good for the heart as it lowers the LDL and total cholesterol content and maintains HDL cholesterol content in the blood.
3. The high polyunsaturated fats are also good for the heart. The essential fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) and linoleic acid (omega-6), are the precursors of prostaglandins, the hormone like substances that have a variety of functions like contraction and relaxation of smooth muscles, control of blood pressure, pain and inflammatory response, etc in humans.
4. The omega-3 fatty acids also appear to be important for cognitive and behavioral function, as well as normal growth and development.
5. Linoleic acid is known to burn the brown fat, thus aiding in weight loss.
6. Hemp oil is also proved to reduce the blood pressure and improve cardiovascular function.
7. Also has high amounts of natural antioxidants, that help fight against free radicals in the body, enhance the immunity and reduce the risk of cardiovascular, autoimmune and degenerative diseases.
8. Like all other plant oils, hemp oil is free of cholesterol and trans fats.