*Cottonseed oil is edible vegetable oil extracted from the seeds of the cotton plant after the lint has been removed.
*It is solid at room temperature and does not need hydrogenation.
*Has a high smoking point and long shelf life and so is used in high heat cooking, like deep frying in the snack industries.
*It has a nutty buttery flavor but does not impart any color or odor to the fried foods. While unsaturated fats break down when used for repeated frying, cottonseed oil retains its nutritional value and keeps very well.
*Cheaper than other vegetable oils.
*Has a long shelf life without refrigeration when stored properly away from light and heat.
Is it raw?
No. Cottonseed oil is cleansed and processed using heat and chemicals, but it retains its nutritional value. Make sure you read the label.
1. Cottonseed oil has moderate amount of saturated fats, good amount of monounsaturated fats, high content of polyunsaturated fats and no cholesterol.
2. Oleic acid, the monounsaturated fat, is good for the heart and it lowers the LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol in blood and maintains the HDL cholesterol.
3. Has good amounts of essential fatty acids, nearly 51% of linoleic acid (omega-6) and
0.2% of alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3), which are the precursors of prostaglandins, which are hormone like substances that have a variety of functions like contraction and relaxation of smooth muscles, control of blood pressure, pain and inflammatory response, etc in humans and animals.
4. Has high amounts of vitamin E (176%) and phytosterols, which fight against the free radicals in the body, preserve the integrity of the cell membranes and reduce the risk of heart diseases, cancers and other degenerative disorders.
5. Has no trans fats at all, but is semi-solid to solid at room temperature.
6. According to a recent study, researchers found gossypol, a compound derived from cottonseed oil and thought to be toxic, is used in Chinese medicine to help chemotherapy become more effective in patients with cancers of the head and neck. Usually chemotherapy or radiation does not respond very well in head and neck cancers. The health benefits of gossypol need to be studied more.