*Pecans are nuts of the tree Carya illinoinensis.
*The Pecan nuts are edible with a rich, buttery flavor and can be eaten raw and fresh.
*They are also known as Carya pecan and hickory nut.
*They have a characteristically sweet odor primarily due to the oils present in them.
*Store them in clean dry airtight containers in a cool, dry place. They keep well when stored at room temperature for up to 2 months, refrigerated for up to 6 months and when frozen for up to a year.
*Number of nuts per serving is 20 halves.
Are they raw?
Yes and No.
*Yes, if picked fresh or if it says raw or sundried on the package.
*No, because most of the pecans at the supermarket are roasted and salted. Make sure you read the label.
1. Pecans are a good source of proteins and dietary fiber.
2. Rich sources of unsaturated fat, nearly 60% of monounsaturated and 30% of polyunsaturated.
3. Naturally cholesterol free, free of trans fats and low in saturated fats, and hence may reduce the risk of heart disease.
4. They are good sources of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, which inhibits the oxidation of blood lipids and lipids in the cell membranes. And thus prevents heart disease, and the risk of prostate cancer.
5. They also decrease the risk of Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and cataracts because of the high amounts of antioxidants.
6. Phytochemicals present in pecans also have a protective effect against cancer and other diseases.
7. They may aid in weight loss and maintenance, as nuts being rich in protein and dietary fiber increase metabolic rates and enhance satiety.
8. A serving of pecans (30 g) provides about 25% more oleic acid than a serving of olive oil (one tablespoon).
9. Good sources of vitamins like thiamine, niacin, folic acid, and B6.
10. Unless salted, they are sodium free, and so can be consumed by people on sodium-restricted diets.
11. The antioxidants and plant sterols lower the cholesterol level in the blood by reducing the LDL or bad cholesterol.
12. They are naturally low in carbohydrates, so they are a very good source of proteins, vitamins, minerals, and fiber for people on carb-restricted diets.